Thursday, December 17, 2009

Moleskine: Cause I'm far too Posh for a Spiral!


A Moleskine notebook has been the ideal companion to artist, writers, and thinkers over the last couple of centuries. Being flexible and durable in all shapes and sizes, these little notebooks have be known to house notes, sketches, doodles, thoughts, ideas and dreams.

Since 1997 (Once these note books were introduced as the Moleskine Brand)the notebooks have been sold world wide to re-introduce the idea of a personal note. These petite, sentimental notebooks have been around for the past couple centuries having links to some well known people along the way; Ernest Hemingway, Pablo Picasso, and Vincent Van Gogh, are among those on the list. The notebook itself is nothing, yet when you begin to fill it with pieces of you and your ideas, it becomes priceless. You find your self described intimately on the pages as you read through your notes.

When I entered my first professional kitchen I was astonished to see that I was permitted to take notes. I also found that the notebook of choice was the coveted, Moleskine. I was given a pocket size version from a friend when I left culinary school so to link the world of school and the world I found at The Fearrington House I began to write in my gift everyday. Once I left The Fearrington House, my Moleskine was now seeping with knowledge and character. I retired my first notebook and began a new book once I took the job at Canoe Bay. Canoe Bay brought many surprises and one was my first Head Chef position. As Head Chef I felt it was my duty to teach someone something. I decided to do so in the form of a gift, I gave my first intern a tiny, black, pocket sized notebook, just like the one given to me before I left school. I now hope that he too will feel lost with out his little black book.

I now have several Moleskine Notebooks and each tells a different story. The only problem that I have been able to come up with is simply, I don't have enough pockets.

No comments:

Post a Comment